Estimating & Bidding
2019 BuildBlock Project Estimating and Bidding Tool
The BuildBlock Project Estimating Tools allows you to calculate the number of blocks and courses to build your home or building. The estimates generated by this tool are for estimating purposes only and rounding may be necessary when ordering block bundles. We have designed this tool to be as simple as possible so anyone can use it for any project large or small.
This tool is only an estimate. If you have additional questions or have specialty needs, please contact our technical staff for assistance. Below you will also find the instructions for the process that our excel file uses for the calculations so you may do the estimate manually. This tool requires Microsoft Excel 2010 or newer.
Manual Estimating Method: How to Estimate Your Project
Follow the instructions below to estimate how many BuildBlock forms you’ll need for your construction project.
- Divide wall height by 16” and round up. This is the number of courses required.
- Multiply the number of 90° corners in the structure by the number of courses required. This is the number of 90° corner forms required.
- Multiply the number of 45° corners in the structure by the number of courses required. This is the number of 45° corner forms required.
- Use the chart below to determine the total square footage of all Corner Forms to be used. There are differences in square footage per corner form based on whether it is an inside or outside corner. To determine this, look whether the long side or the short side of the block is on the outside of the wall. The long side will be an outside corner, the short side will be an inside corner. Use the appropriate square footage from the chart below.
- Determine the total square foot area of the wall being formed (linear footage of structure x-height, minus 80% of window and door openings). Subtract total square foot of all 90° forms to be used and all 45° forms to be used.
- Divide the remaining square footage of the wall by 5.33 to determine the number of straight forms required. Add a small number of forms for possible waste.
Estimate the concrete volume required by the following: Divide total square footage of wall to be formed, including corners, by 53 or 40 (for 6” or 8” forms, respectively). This equals the number of cubic yards of concrete required. Add 1.5 additional yardage for waste and the pump. (You do not want to be short on concrete. Delays are too expensive on manpower and pump costs.)
BuildBlock Product Square Footage Table